In business, emails are sent quite often. In fact, business emails are sent so often that some people receive dozens, if not, hundreds per day! Emails that aren’t constructed properly could cause them to be left unread, skimmed through too quickly, or thrown in the trash. For those looking to “up” their email game, listen up!
Email Construction Best Practices
- Create an Accurate Subject Line - Never leave your subject line blank — ever! Not only do these email gets overlooked, many can get marked as spam. When typing your subject line, choose a few choice words that will sum up the topic of your email. This will help the person receiving the email sort it appropriately.
- Send Reply Emails Quickly - Nothing is worse than sending an email and not getting one back for days at a time, or even having to follow up. If you need more time to create a detailed email or report, send back a reply stating you will get back to them at a set time.
- Auto-Responding Tools - Whether you’re out of the office for one day or one week, it’s important to let your clients, vendors, prospects, and fellow employees know this. Set up an auto-responder to let people emailing you know that you are out-of-office, when they can expect you back, and who they can contact in case there is an emergency.
- Use “High-Priority” Sparingly - Do not be that person in the office that marks half of their emails with a “High-Priority” subject or marking. Doing this too many times will label you as the “boy who cried wolf.” The day you need someone to look at your email immediately, you don’t want them to think it’s just another one of your falsely advertised emails.
- Proofread and Use Good Judgement - Before you send out your emails, look them over for obvious grammatical mistakes and see if everything is worded clearly. Additionally, make sure all of the content you need is in that email, and make sure you want to send everything in that email. Sometimes you might include something that really shouldn’t be in there (i.e. an angry tone or too much information).
Being able to construct business emails properly with the appropriate etiquette to go along is extremely important in today’s world. Every business should have lightning fast internet AND a reliable phone system (preferably VoIP). To learn more about structured cabling and VoIP phone systems, contact Reliable Voice & Data Systems at (877) 385-6657.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!