Do you currently have an employee (or a few) that are under-performing or are just doing the bare minimum? Whether you’re trying to get these workers out of their funk or you’re trying to prevent your current employees from heading in this direction, it’s time to take action!
- Be Open, Yet Stern - Having an open line of communication between managers and employees is extremely important. Let them know you have an open door policy and they can come to you with any issues at any time. However, you should also be doing the same by going to them when you see them under-performing or you want to address their goals within the company.
- More Responsibility - When an employee has the same workload for too long, they can become bored or unwilling to go above and beyond. Try to motivate these bored employees by giving them more responsibility or a project they can work on. Try not to give them busy work, give them responsibility or a project that will really benefit the company.
- Provide Training - While working does pay the bills, it’s also meant to help you develop current and new skills to make you a smarter and better person. By providing your employees with trainings to help them develop their skills, you will show them you are committed to them (in hopes they return the favor by showing they are committed to you). Even providing an updated training on an older one can refresh their minds and hopefully their determination.
- Moving On Up - Employees can feel like they’re stuck if they haven’t had a promotion or an addition of new roles and responsibilities. Create new roles for employees so they know that a promotion or new level of responsibility is always available. Simply knowing that a promotion is always possible can motivate anyone that feels like they’re in a stagnant workplace.
- Know Your Employees - Take the time to figure out why your employees might be under-performing. You might uncover that they had a death in the family or a recent divorce that lead to their poor work performance. Show your employees you care by giving them a small amount of time off to regroup. Something as small as being compassionate and empathetic can cause your employees to like you more, thus working harder.
Not many businesses will have a team of all-star employees at all times — there will always be a few lazier ones that will need to be motivated. If you feel you need to keep an eye on business operations and employees, consider installing CCTV security cameras. To learn more about CCTV or to schedule a free estimate with Reliable Voice & Data Systems, give us a call at (877) 385-6657.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!